Sunday, March 12, 2006

Chapelle's Show

Yesterday I saw “Dave Chapelle’s Block Party.” Unfortunately this is not 2 hours of Dave Chapelle being funny. But instead I was pleasantly surprised to see a marching band rendition of Jesus Walks by Kanye West, The Roots, my namesake the handsome and incomparable Mos Def, Common, Talib Kweli, Dead Prez, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, and a reunion of the Fugees. It was like Woodstock and they got it all on film!

Did you know English is Wyclef’s like third language and he advocates public libraries? I didn’t.

Did you know Lauryn Hill’s baby was really cute and big now? I didn’t.

Did you know Kanye West has the same taste in blazers as a college English professor? I didn’t . . . but I could’ve guessed because his parents are professors or something.

I was totally surprised by the energy of the performances and Dave Chapelle is always hilarious; but I thought the way they spliced in the commentary and didn’t really introduce anyone (with the exception of the members of the Roots) didn’t do a good job of telling the story. I totally would have put more footage of the kids from the Brooklyn Police Athletic League in. ** Over all great job on the movie Mr. Black Bush!

** Just a note that their PAL was the best looking PAL I’ve ever seen. The kids in Oak Park in Sacramento didn’t have all those nice floormats, lighting, proper chairs and tables.




http://www.chappellesblockparty.com/home.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur such a thug!

MosSteph said...

i'd be a super thug if i looooved dead prez and they were my favorite duo.