Saturday, April 08, 2006

Alkaline Trio in San Diego! My life is complete.


Saturday April 1, 2006 I saw my favorite band the Alkaline Trio. They had the lamest band called the Griffin opening for them. Basic stage dynamics Griffin boys you should introduce your band and not make us guess. However they did deal with the stage security brutality incident well and did an impromptu additional verse saying “Please security guards stop beating up our fans” as people rushed the stage to do seizure-esque dances and run around to be the back of the room.


As for the Trio they played an emotional 2 hours of the morose punk rock that I love. They played the entire “Goddamnit” album, which I thought was awesome. It’s the theme of my first year of lawschool which made me feel like there was someone more miserable than I out there. They have a really poignant tribute to clinical depression on the album which I love (Trouble Breathing.) I really liked how they didn’t play all the Crimson songs in a shameless attempt to plug the new album. I think that they know that their rabid fans are the real reason for their success and we all have the album and know what it sounds like. I would have liked “If you had a bad time,” the Cure cover of “Exploding Boy” or “Mr. Chainsaw” (I loooooooove Mr Chainsaw) But as to the lack of Cure covers, the Crimson album arrangements are reminiscent of the Cure in some places. I’m not the only one to catch the Cure and Joy Division parallels really! Speaking of tributes, at one time Matt says "This one's for Johnny Cash!" and I was expecting like a Folsom Prison Cover or something, but no it was "Burn."


"I used to long for broken bones I used to long for a casket to call my own I never had a problem facing fear But I'm done, over and out my dear and
Oh, mercy me, God bless catastrophe'Cause there's no way in hell We'll ever live through this"

No comments: