Saturday, June 03, 2006

Asparabacon!

Posted by Picasa

Dear Readers,My apologies for the long absence. In my sabbatical I have been experimenting with “asparabacon.” The Japanese love to abbreviate and squish two words together. “Asparabacon” = Asparagus + Bacon. For those of you who know, a common food in an izikaya (Japanese diner where you order many plates of tiny food) is roasted asparagus wrapped in bacon. Usually it comes on little skewers and I believe it is roasted on a grill. It’s delicious! Stateside, I don’t have a grill or little skewers. For this recipe I placed three spears of asparagus together and wrapped each bundle in bacon. (Not the fake turkey bacon that I usually buy.) Then, I roasted the asparagus bundles in the oven at 400 for 20 min. I can tell you that It was delicious. However next time I will choose a less fatty meat. Maybe AsparaPancetta should be in the works?

2 comments:

Mix76 said...

Dude... I hope you didn't get the food poisoning from the asparabakon! By the way, next time you make it try experimenting with different types of bacon. I personally like the honey cured variety myself... a little sweetness added.

MosSteph said...

good to know. no i got food poisoning from Lawry's Carvery

http://www.lawrysonline.com/carvery_gen_info.asp

just look at that prime rib sandwich. doesn't it look great? but i KNOW it was the Carvery that gave me the food poisoning and made me miss my friend's happiest day of her life.